Wednesday, November 19, 2008

How do you trap an Armadillo?

Yesterday the boys were running around the house playing and yelled for me to come and look at something. I went to check out their findings and saw a very large hole and below the hole more holesburrowed towards my house and my neighbors. After inspecting closer pretty much in every direction. My first instinct was that it was a gopher or mole or something. After researching, I decided that it was probably not a mole or gopher since they usually leave mounds. I called around today and one of the guys seems to think that what I am describing is an armadillo or a skunk. YUCK and YUCK! Neither sounds fun, but I am going to say it is an armadillo because I do not want to even entertain the idea that a skunk is living under my house. Pest Control wants to charge anywhere from $450-$550 to trap and remove the animal. So what to do? Apparantly these animals can do some really significant damage under your home and to the foundtion. Of course Michael is out of town for three weeks training for his new job.
Plan A: A little investigating of my own. I loosely stuffed the 8X6X8 hole with newspaper to see if this critter decides to come out to play tonight. This will tell me if he is still living under the house.
Plan B: Still undecided. I am considering calling Animal control to deliver a trap to see if I can catch it myself. Then it will only cost $100 for someone to come out and remove it.
Plan C: Flood it out of the hole. I am just not sure I can take on what decides to run out of the hole while I am flooding.
Plan D: Wait until Uncle John comes Saturday and see what he thinks. :)
Hmmmm........


Since Michael has been gone:

  • Huge lightning storm came and took out my internet and tv for 3 days
  • Furnice tripped
  • Mysterious animal digging tunnels under the house
  • issues with a boy on Jacobs bus
  • what next........




This is not the Actual Armadillo at my house

2 comments:

Grandma Patton said...

Good idea on Plan A.
Could you initiate part of Plan B and take the content of the cage back to them when Uncle John comes?
If not I'd go with Plan D.

Jill said...

No, I cannot give them the contents. Obtaining the cage from Animal Control will have to be undercover agent work. They only provide cages for cats and dogs. They do not handle those types of animals. I will have to pay $100 for someone from pest control to come out and take the animal and bring the cage back empty.